- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg on Wednesday evening condemned attacks by Trump supporters in Washington, DC, as “mob violence,” The New York Times reporter Mike Isaac said in a tweet.
- “The peaceful transition of power is critical to the functioning of democracy, and we need our political leaders to lead by example and put the nation first,” Zuckerberg said, according to Isaac.
- Zuckerberg also briefly discussed Facebook’s response, including its decision to remove a video Trump posted, and said Facebook’s DC-based employees were safe, according to Isaac.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg condemned “mob violence” in the nation’s capitol in a memo to staff Wednesday, following an unprecedented day in which Trump supporters stormed the US Capitol building after being incited by the president.
“This is a dark moment in our nation’s history, and I know many of you are frightened and concerned about what’s happening in Washington, D.C.,” Zuckerberg said in a memo seen by New York Times reporter Mike Isaac.
“I’m personally saddened by this mob violence – which is exactly what this is. The peaceful transition of power is critical to the functioning of democracy, and we need our political leaders to lead by example and put the nation first,” the memo continued.
Zuckerberg joins a growing list of executives who have spoken out against the violence.
A joint session of Congress to count the 2020 presidential race’s Electoral College votes descended into chaos earlier on Wednesday as violent protesters breached the US Capitol building, assaulting police officers and forcing lawmakers to evacuate.
As Trump’s supporters stormed the Capitol, the president posted a video to Facebook and Twitter spouting baseless claims of election fraud. Facebook removed it shortly after for violating their policies against inciting violence, while Twitter initially applied a warning label before suspending Trump’s account for 12 hours.
Facebook’s vice president of Integrity Guy Rosen said on Twitter that the company removed Trump’s video “because on balance we believe it contributes to rather than diminishes the risk of ongoing violence.”
According to Isaac, Zuckerberg said Facebook is “treating this situation as an emergency” and is “implementing additional measures to keep people safe.”
Zuckerberg also reportedly told Facebook staff that all of its DC-based employees were “safe and accounted for.”
To Find More Information, Go To Saubio Digital And Look Up Any Topic