What 10 Foods Can Increase Your Sperm Count?
Nutrition is only one of many factors that influence sperm health. Find out what you can do to boost your sperm count.
Diet and nutrition aren’t the only things that influence sperm count. A man’s reproductive system, like any other human organ, requires vitamins and nutrients to function properly and might benefit from a healthy diet.
Foods that can help increase sperm count include:
Ten Foods to Increase Your Sperm Count
There are many ways to increase sperm count. One of the most popular is by eating certain foods. Here are eight foods that can increase sperm count:
Oysters contain zinc, which is a mineral that has been shown to increase sperm production. Oysters also contain antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids, which have also been shown to help with fertility in males.
Watermelon contains lycopene, which has been shown to decrease oxidative stress on the body and improve semen quality. Lycopene is also found in tomatoes, but watermelon is a much better source of this antioxidant than tomatoes because it contains more lycopene per serving size and it’s easier for your body to absorb.
3) Pumpkin Seeds:
Pumpkin seeds have been shown to help improve sperm count and motility. They also contain zinc, magnesium, iron and omega-3 fatty acids.
Flaxseeds are high in zinc, which has been shown to increase sperm production as well as testosterone levels.
Probiotics can help with digestion and inflammation, two of the main causes of infertility.
6) Brown Rice:
Brown rice is a good source of fibre and B vitamins, both important for sperm production and fertility.
7) Dark Chocolate:
Chocolate contains flavanols, which can improve male fertility in a number of ways including the increase in the levels of testosterone.
8) Fenugreek Seeds:
Fenugreek seeds have been shown to improve sperm quality, motility and quantity in men.
Ginger has been shown to improve sperm production, motility and quantity in men.
10) Green Tea:
Research suggests that green tea (catechins) can help increase sperm count production.
Aside from having these nutrients in your diet, the following lifestyle adjustments may enhance sperm count and quality:
- Avoiding foods packaged with bisphenol A (BPA)
- Avoiding trans fats
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Avoiding smoking
- Avoiding drugs and excessive alcohol consumption
- Managing stress
- Staying physically active
- Getting enough sleep and rest
- Staying hydrated
What factors determine sperm health?
Normal sperm count is about 20-150 million sperm per milliliter of a semen sample, although there may be slight variations from lab to lab.
Some men may not have any sperm in their semen sample—a condition called azoospermia. However, while low sperm counts may reduce fertility, many men are still able to make their female partners pregnant despite this, because fertility usually depends on sperm cell quality.
Besides sperm count, other factors that determine sperm health:
- Motility or movement: Sperm cells need to be mobile to swim through a woman’s reproductive tract, reach the egg (ovum), and fertilize it.
- Morphology or structure: The structure of the sperm needs to be normal, meaning that it should have an oval head and a long tail working together to propel it.
For a semen sample to be healthy at 60% of the sperm cells need to show good motility with normal morphology.
The Best 10 Supplements for Increasing Sperm Count Naturally
There are many factors that can affect your sperm count, but there are some natural supplements that can help you improve your sperm quality, and increase your sperm count, and has been shown to improve sperm motility.
1) Vitamin A:
Vitamin A promotes the motility of sperms and helps to protect against infertility due to zinc deficiency.
2) Citric Acid:
Citric acid is a potent antioxidant that helps to stimulate testosterone levels in men.
Niacin also called vitamin B3 and nicotinic acid, is a nutrient that supports the production of testosterone, this can help keep sperm count high.
4) Vitamin C:
Vitamin C has been shown to improve sperm motility, concentration and quality as well as reduce oxidative stress. and DNA damage. Vitamin C is required for the production of testosterone and other sex hormones. It also helps in boosting male fertility by improving semen quality.
Zinc is a mineral that is essential for healthy sperm production, this nutrient has been shown to improve semen quality and help fertility in men. Zinc is an important mineral for reproductive health because it plays a role in the production of testosterone and other sex hormones.
6) Vitamin E:
Vitamin E also known as alpha-tocopherol or tocotrienol, is a nutrient that promotes the motility of sperms, it can also help protect against infertility .
Selenium is an antioxidant which has been shown to play a role in improving sperm quality and quantity.
8) Vitamin B12:
Vitamin B12 is a coenzyme that helps in the production of sex hormones.
Carnitine is a nutrient and amino acid that enhances sperm quality and quantity.
10) Omega 3 Fatty Acids:
Omega 3 fatty acids help in the production of sex hormones and semen volume .
There is a large body of scientific evidence that supports the effectiveness of male infertility supplements, but there are even more studies that show a correlation between being overweight and decreased sperm count. This may be due to the influence of obesity-related diseases on sperm production.
What causes low sperm count?
There are many potential causes of low sperm count, one of them being errors in lab testing. Other causes may include:
- Medical conditions:
- Infections and inflammations such as gonorrhea, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), orchitis, and epididymitis
- Varicocele (enlargement of the veins within the scrotum)
- Retrograde ejaculation (a condition in which the semen enters the bladder during an orgasm instead of coming out of the tip of the penis)
- Nerve diseases due to diabetes or spinal injuries
- Injury or surgery in the pelvic area
- Certain autoimmune diseases
- Radiation and chemotherapy
- Hormonal imbalances
- Celiac disease
- Developmental disorders:
- Undescended testes
- Abnormal tubules that transport sperm
- Genetic conditions:
- Environmental causes:
- Heavy metals
- Industrial solvents and other chemicals
- Radiation exposure
- High temperature
Five Tips on How to Boost Your Libido and Increase Sperm Count – What’s the Connection?
We all know that there are many factors that can affect our libido. Lack of sleep, stress, and poor diet are just a few of them. But did you know that there are some things in your life that can lower your sperm count? Keep reading to learn more about five tips on how to boost your libido and increase sperm count!
Here are five tips on how to boost your libido and increase sperm count: The human body needs a certain level of hormones to function. One such hormone is testosterone and it’s been shown to increase libido and sperm count. Here are five ways that you can naturally boost your testosterone levels:
– Eat healthy foods . Eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds and beans. Exercise can be a key factor in increasing your libido. It can also help increase fertility by improving the quality of your sperm and reduce testosterone levels.
– Exercise regularly. It’s been shown that regular aerobic exercise can help raise testosterone levels by at least 10%. Exercise can be a key factor in increasing your libido. It can also help increase fertility by improving the quality of your sperm and reduce testosterone levels.
– Get enough sleep. One study showed that men who slept less than six hours a night had significantly lower testosterone levels than those who slept seven to eight hours per night. More sleep means more energy and increased libido, which is important for human fertility. It can also help with carrying a baby to term, as well as prevent fatigue and depression. Mental health: People need sleep in order to have a healthy mind. It is not just the physical mind that needs sleep, but the emotional and cognitive as well. Without it, people may feel more irritable and moody, making them prone to depression. They also might be more likely to develop impulse issues like gambling or addiction.
– Avoid smoking or drinking alcohol. Tips on increasing your libido and increasing your fertility. Stop or drastically reduce the things that can cause low testosterone levels in men. Smoking and drinking alcohol are two of the worst things for a man’s fertility. The chemicals in tobacco products can cause low testosterone levels, sperm quality, and erectile dysfunction. Drinking alcohol can also lead to similar problems.
– Manage stress. In one study, men who were stressed had lower testosterone levels than those who weren’t stressed. Stress is a common experience for many people. It can come from work, family, or even a lack of sleep. Stress has been known to wreak havoc on people’s lives and take a toll on their health. Higher levels of stress can result in low libido and fertility in both men and women. There are many things that cause high levels of stress such as work, family life, anxiety disorders , lack of sleep, and illness.
It is important to know the signs of stress overload, how to manage it, and what to do if you feel it taking a toll on your health. Stress is a common experience for almost everyone. It can be caused by many different things and take a toll on your health, affecting your ability to perform certain tasks and even cause depression. Always try and find help or find ways to destress yourself or take your self away from certain situations.
– Consider taking a supplement. There are a variety of options available to support testosterone production, including supplements such as tribulus terrestris, arginine and zinc. picolinate.- If your prostate is enlarged, consider dietary changes such as eliminating dairy products and soy, limiting alcohol consumption or taking a supplement to help support the liver. Consider exercise, including strength training and aerobic activity. Many studies have found that both types of exercise are beneficial for testosterone levels.
Medically Reviewed on 7/19/2021