- Continental, a German auto manufacturing company, partnered with Silicon Valley-based display technology startup Leia to create a 3D car dashboard that can be seen without wearing specialized glasses.
- Continental claims the dashboard allows drivers to absorb information in a more rapid, and therefore safe and non-distracting, manner.
- The 3D dashboard can relay pertinent information, such as projections of GPS directions and a 360-degree parking assist view.
- While the car is in an autonomous driving mode, drivers can do otherwise unthinkable actions while driving: video chat, watch movies, and play video games, to name a few examples.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Continental, a German manufacturing company, partnered with Silicon Valley-based display technology startup Leia to create an innovative 3D dashboard for cars that can be seen without wearing specialized glasses.
The dashboard provides the driver with pertinent information — such as a projection of GPS directions — to ease the driving experience while increasing the driver’s safety and speed of information absorbent, according to Continental.
Its maker claims the 3D displays won’t be distracting to the driver because unlike 3D movies, the displays can’t pop out and travel limitlessly around the car.
“We work with the graphic depth to the rear and allow all 3D-objects a maximum of five centimeters out of the picture,” product manager of display solutions at Continental Kai Hohmann said in a statement. “This is much more relaxed for the eye and will ensure the driver does not become distracted.”
The dashboard’s creation follows an uptick in autonomous driving trends that allow drivers to take their complete focus off of the roads at all times. In the future, while a car is in its autonomous driving mode, the display will be able to offer activities that drivers otherwise can’t safely partake in, such as video chatting, gaming, internet and social media browsing, and watching television.
To Find More Information, Go To Saubio Digital And Look Up Any Topic